Re: [idn] nameprep2 and the slash homograph issue

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> Wed, 23 February 2005 17:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:02:26 +0100
To: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>, IETF idn working group <idn@ops.ietf.org>
From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [idn] nameprep2 and the slash homograph issue
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

John,
your proposition makes more sense than Adam as kludges do not escalate, and
when you start censoring you never know where you will have to stop, and I
do not know how you can enforce it.

But your proposition is not the panacea.

1) it is meant only for registration. So it is for TLD Registry Managers or
goodwill registrants (for 3+LD). They are ignorant, lazzy, opposed or
accepting, but they do not oppose. So the real problem is not with them but
with phishers.
2) your poposition is to have an oline correction of the problem. Some
Registry may like it, some not. I would have strong objections because it
complexifies the user support. But we can try it. This is why I asked the
solution I asked and asked if a Perl program existed to test a correction
at registration.

Actually I repeat that all the propositions to change what the user can see
is user hurting. The need for the click to send a request which the one the
user want, not the one the phisher want. IMHO one does not increase
security in hiding the existand of the danger, one increases the risks.
jfc