Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> Sun, 05 May 1996 15:21 UTC

Date: Sun, 05 May 1996 08:19:00 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To: John Curran <jcurran@bbnplanet.com>
Cc: ietf <ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Mornin' John,

I am not at all against having an operational RFC in this area.  Even a BCP
would be nice.  But might we want its glaring weaknesses fixed first?

Essentially,

  o we should specify protocols, not which implementation should be used.
    i am especially shocked by point 4, which enshrines a mis-feature in
    BIND into an operational restriction.

  o in general, specs should tell folk what to achieve, not how to achieve
    it.  things like no user accounts, UPSs, ... are, aside from being
    unnecessarily restrictive, unnecessarily proscriptive.  technology
    changes and there are alternatives, describe the goal and not the
    means.

    someone may choose to buy a MonsterTron 10,000, which can support a
    million users while having the power, security, ...to run COM with
    both caches tied behind its back.

  o remove the national TLDs, and you could neutralize half of the most
    unrealisticly restrictive issues.

  o without serious justification, we should not create a new technocracy.
    i love the phrase 'zone masters', right out of adolescent sci fi.

randy