Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> Mon, 06 May 1996 04:57 UTC

Date: Sun, 05 May 1996 21:57:00 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To: Andrew Partan <asp@partan.com>
Cc: John Curran <jcurran@bbnplanet.com>, John C Klensin <klensin@mci.net>, Einar Stefferud <Stef=ietf@nma.com>, Steve Goldstein <sgoldste@nsf.gov>, iesg <iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt

Have you considered Klensin's, Goldstein's, and Stefferud's (and my) view
from that of a small national TLD, not COM or .?  What probably John said
best is that the local PTT will take this as a means of grabbing the
national TLD from the university or NGO where it is now and use it as a
weapon of monopoly.  Sadly, this is not theory.  We have seen it in
action, and more than once.

Three weeks ago I was in a meeting with the national regulatory body of
Peru, where the telco, just entering the IP game that week, wanted to have
IP reclassified as a bearer service, and forbid the existing national
network from supplying it .  It would be OK for the old net to buy IP from
the telco and sell value added, like web and BBS.  One part of the game
was, as usual, the TLD fight.

Scale on the internet runs two ways.  We have to learn how to scale up
efficiently and quickly.  We also have to learn not to destroy behind us
the majority of the world who, due to historical context, can not scale as
quickly as we.

I have no problem with 80% of it when applied to COM, ORG, GREED, ...
It's when it is KE, NG, PE, VN, KH, ... that I fear that we will *really*
regret it.

randy