Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt

Brett Watson <brett@tta.com> Wed, 08 May 1996 03:46 UTC

To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au>
cc: bmanning@isi.edu, paul@vix.com, ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt
Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 22:21:37 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Brett Watson <brett@tta.com>
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

  i like what bill has written so far, and i agree with the comments
kre makes below to clarify some points but i think the *real* problem
with this draft is the *tone* of the message.  there are too many
words like 'must', 'will', and other 'demanding' type words.  kre
mentions several title changes but i think if the overall tone of the
draft changed to 'this is what we would like to see' it would be more
palatable to everyone.

  if i were to read this as a startup isp (or other company), and i
was new to reading rfc's and i-d's, i would feel like i were breaking
a law if i didn't follow it to the letter.  again, i like the
*content* but the tone seems pretty demanding.  maybe it's just me.

-brett

> From:    Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au>
> Subject: Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt

> Sender:  ietf-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
> Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.
>
>     Date:        Mon, 6 May 1996 14:53:57 -0700 (PDT)
>     From:        bmanning@ISI.EDU
>
>     -02 was some editorial changes that Paul had asked for
>     and Brians excise of the draft nature of the docuement.
>
> Did it ever appear in the I-D directories?  I don't see it.
>

>     Abstract
>
>     This draft proposes criteria for name servers and their environments that
>     will support zones for root domains. It is expected that the machines
>     running root name service will be different than the machines
>     running TLD name service. Although there are differences, the same basic
>     criteria may hold. For example, it is expected that TLD servers may
>     field more queries and the root servers may be more concerned with cache
>     pollution. There are some feelings that if you want to (and have the
>     resources to) run a high quality nameserver anywhere in the DNS hierarchy,
>     these criteria may be considered.
>
> I kind of understand why, but this has gotten a bit wishy washy...

[... deleted ...]