Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt

Wolfgang Henke <wolfgang@whnet.com> Sun, 05 May 1996 16:13 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Wolfgang Henke <wolfgang@whnet.com>
Subject: Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt
To: ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Date: Sun, 05 May 1996 09:11:25 -0700
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

     John C Klensin <klensin@mail1.reston.mci.net> writes:

     But, unlike some people who would otherwise be in that
     position and wish those wishes, she would prefer to get the
     Internet up and running rather than sitting around waiting for
     all of those nice things to happen first.   So she looks at a
     donated router that represents the state of the art five years
     ago (or an 8088 running KA9Q which several such countries have
     discovered will do the job) and a dialup link, or perhaps even a
     dedicated 9.6 kbps IP-over-X.25 link, and perhaps a 386 box
     running BSDI or Linux as the only candidates for "network
     operations center".  And she is going to be the staff for a
     while, perhaps with the addition of a 12-year-old cousin or a
     few other hacker-enthusiasts.  Now the question is: does she try
     to run TCP/IP or does she fall back on UUCP and/or Fidonet.  I
     think we can all agree that we'd prefer that TCP/IP be her
     choice.  At least I hope we can.

Agreed!!! And lets not forget that many successfull operations started
quite small. Bob Rieger's Netcom was a 386 running SCO just about 6
years ago, and while the gurus at the university did connect him with a
56k line after lots of hassles, they laughed at this ignorant idiot
selling connections from his bedroom.

Netcom is expanding to new continents now, with more than 400,000 users,
500+ employees, T3 rings and OC3 and Bob Rieger a retired multimillionaire.
I'm not sure that the university can keep up, shall we cut off universities
soon?

I bet on the ISPs. It's amazing to see them grow. As far as I can tell
they are the important force which makes the net so successful today.

Wolfgang