Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt

John C Klensin <klensin@mail1.reston.mci.net> Sun, 05 May 1996 15:27 UTC

Date: Sun, 05 May 1996 11:24:30 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: John C Klensin <klensin@mail1.reston.mci.net>
Subject: Re: draft-manning-dnssvr-criteria-01.txt
To: bmanning@isi.edu
Cc: "Bill Manning, ; DIV7" <bmanning@isi.edu>, ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

On Sat, 04 May 1996 12:56:01 -0700 (PDT)  bmanning@isi.edu
wrote:
> > All nice desirable things.  But the assumptions of staffing levels, etc. are
> > so wonderfully <bleep> first-world arrogant that this is worth posting on one
> > of the lists for networking in developing countries.
>
> 	If they are so bloody desireable, they why not tell people that they
> 	are?  Or are you in favor of keeping others information poor?

Bill,

While you and Randy continue to bash away at each other, let me
try to identify the issue here in a different way and, in the
process, stress that it is a real issue.

Let's assume we've got a poor sod trying to get a network and
Internet connection established on a shoestring budget in a
developing area.  Since Randy's names seem to offend you, let's
just keep the country unnamed to protect the various actors (and
because no two cases are exactly alike).  Now she undoubtedly
wishes, and perhaps prays, every morning and night, for someone
to come along and donate a good router, three or four high
performance workstations, four DS3s (running directly to the
US, Japan, Europe, and Australia), and the resources to find and
pay a skilled network management staff composed of nationals
from her country (not carpetbaggers or tourists).   While she is
at it, she probably wishes for a few internationally-calibrated
atomic reference clocks, but, given the DS3s, realizes that she
can probably manage without them.  I can imagine few people with
network experience who can't sympathize with the wishes, since
few "developed area" networks are that well off.

But, unlike some people who would otherwise be in that
position and wish those wishes, she would prefer to get the
Internet up and running rather than sitting around waiting for
all of those nice things to happen first.   So she looks at a
donated router that represents the state of the art five years
ago (or an 8088 running KA9Q which several such countries have
discovered will do the job) and a dialup link, or perhaps even a
dedicated 9.6 kbps IP-over-X.25 link, and perhaps a 386 box
running BSDI or Linux as the only candidates for "network
operations center".  And she is going to be the staff for a
while, perhaps with the addition of a 12-year-old cousin or a
few other hacker-enthusiasts.  Now the question is: does she try
to run TCP/IP or does she fall back on UUCP and/or Fidonet.  I
think we can all agree that we'd prefer that TCP/IP be her
choice.  At least I hope we can.

Now IETF (or just Bill Manning with presumed endorsement from
world-renowned ISI) comes along and says "it really isn't
acceptable to run a TLD without at least two or three high
performance workstations, NTP synchronization, and a 7x24
operations staff with backup for all positions in the event of
sickness or vacations".   That message translates rather exactly
and immediately into "don't bother running TCP/IP, it is too
hard for you and you can't meet the qualifications.  Run
something where people won't be trying to make these sorts of
rules and where they are used to semi-attended machines and
operations".

I don't like that answer very much.  Do you?

Now we run into the obvious defense: "this is just an
information RFC, if it doesn't apply, don't pay any attention to
it".  But we all know from experience that those labels and
distinctions don't help much when someone is a little confused
about the message and help even less when someone is trying to
deliberately mislead or distort.  While I don't ever want
someone told to not install an Internet link or technology
because they are not big / wealthy / established enough, that
position reflects my personal political biases.  There are
institutions in many of these countries who believe that small,
independent, Internet operations are a threat to their present
or future plans and would love to have an "IETF RFC" in their
hands to buttress their case that no one should be permitted to
put an Internet network in until the Ministry of Grasping and
Control (or its privatized equivalent) gets around to doing so
(on its terms, of course).

That, IMO, is another not-very-good outcome.

Now, perhaps unlike Randy, I think your document contains mostly
very good suggestions for a somewhat better world than that in
which we actually live.  If it had a rather carefully-developed
introduction that explained the circumstances under which it
really is and is not applicable and which discussed, in a
positive way, sensible lower-cost fallbacks from some of the
specific recommendations, my objections would disappear.  But,
as it stands, I've got some pretty strong concerns about its
being published.

    john