Re: Changes needed to Last Call boilerplate

Willie Gillespie <wgillespie+ietf@es2eng.com> Fri, 13 February 2009 02:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:34:08 -0700
From: Willie Gillespie <wgillespie+ietf@es2eng.com>
To: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Subject: Re: Changes needed to Last Call boilerplate
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

David Morris wrote:
> Seems like a unique mailbox per lastcall would be very helpful all around.
> Right now, gathering and evaluating comments must be a nightmare. An
> alternative, would be a single LC mailbox as suggested, but require EVERY
> subject line to carry the last call ID, preferable in a form sensible to
> current mail clients.
>
> In the case of unique lists per lastcall, provide an opt-in metasubcribe
> to make it easy for folks who generally want to follow last call
> discussions to just be subscribed.
>
> *AND* require subscribe to post ... no cute confirm reply to bypass. I
> strongly believe that anyone who wants to provide feedback should want
> to see the comments on their feed back. [If the cute confirm created
> an automatic 48 hour subscription as per my next point, that would
> work too.]
>
> *AND* no unsubscribe or post only for 48 hours after initial subscription.
> For real participants, this wouldn't be an issue and for email campaigns,
> well they just need to experience the same disrruption their campaign
> causes.
>
> David Morris

Not a bad idea.  In fact, it may be useful to have a unique "list" per
draft, so every comment relating to a particular draft can be tracked
historically.  This example is how I understand your suggestion:

ietf+housley-tls-authz-extns@ietf.org will automatically be set up with
the initial ID submission.  E-mails sent to it will be regarded as
discussion pertaining to the draft.

Individuals interested in following the draft may subscribe to that list
simply by sending an e-mail to it.  (However, e-mails with simply the
word "subscribe" in the body or subject line won't be forwarded to
everyone.)  They are also allowed to unsubscribe (perhaps following
  the 48-hour waiting period of initial subscription as David suggested).

Note also that e-mails sent to ietf+draft-name@ietf.org would not be
sent to the general list of ietf@ietf.org.

I doubt this sort of functionality currently exists in Mailman, but
perhaps it could be implemented.

Willie