Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR) ' to Proposed Standard

Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> Wed, 31 August 2005 00:01 UTC

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:01:25 +0200
To: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR) ' to Proposed Standard
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

One more thing:

On 31-aug-2005, at 0:55, Ned Freed wrote:

>>     Section 2.4 discusses use of TCP for LLMNR queries and
>>     composing an LLMNR query using TCP, the sender MUST set the
>> Hop Limit
>>     field in the IPv6 header and the TTL field in the IPv4 header
>> of the
>>     response to one (1).  The responder SHOULD set the TTL or Hop
>> Limit
>>     settings on the TCP listen socket to one (1) so that SYN-ACK
>> packets
>>     will have TTL (IPv4) or Hop Limit (IPv6) set to one (1). This
>>     prevents an incoming connection from off-link since the sender
>> will
>>     not receive a SYN-ACK from the responder.

I've heard reports in the past that attackers were able to spoof
their end of a TCP session without being able to see return traffic.
Obviously this is very hard to do if the TCP implementation uses
enough randomness in its initial sequence numbers, but nonetheless it
seems prudent to make it possible for the RECEIVER to check whether
an incoming packet was forged (with the TTL=255 trick) rather than
depend on the quality of the initial sequence number generation
algorithm.