Re: [Trustees] Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions(TLP)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sun, 19 July 2009 16:55 UTC

Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:55:30 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Ray Pelletier <rpelletier@isoc.org>, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
Subject: Re: [Trustees] Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions(TLP)
Cc: Henk Uijterwaal <henk@ripe.net>, "Scott O. Bradner" <sob@harvard.edu>, ietf@ietf.org

--On Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:18 PM -0400 Ray Pelletier
<rpelletier@isoc.org> wrote:

>> The Trustees announced six changes on July 18, and set the
>> end of   the comment period at July 23.  That's not a 30-day
>> community review   of the six changes, that's a 5-day review.
>
> As Marshall's email of 18 July said:
>
> Since the original call went out on the 23rd of June, the
> comment period is extended to the 23rd of July.
>
> The 'six changes' reflected interim decisions made by the
> Trustees as a result of community input during this period.  A
> revised TLP will not be adopted until after the 30 day period,
> likely to be while in Stockholm.  Those 6 interim decisions
> and the remaining document are still before the community for
> feedback to the Trustees.

Ray,

Noting that this issue is included in my request to the Trustees
that they review these decisions and the ways of doing business
that cause them...

    * There is, as far as I know, no precedent for an
    IETF-related body to announce a public comment period on a
    document, make a series of "interim decisions" and announce
    them five days before the end of that period, and then leave
    the comment period termination date in place rather than
    restarting the review on the revised document.

    * BCP 101 requires that the IAOC and, by extension, the
    Trustees, explain the reasoning for their decisions.  While
    Marshall's "interim" posting arguably does that for the
    changes that were made (the community's comments were
    accepted), it does not do so for any of the changes that
    were not made after other community comments.  Independent
    of when the comment period ends, that makes the interim
    announcement (and probably the original one) invalid.

--john