Re: "Management team"

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Tue, 21 April 2020 21:16 UTC

Subject: Re: "Management team"
From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 09:16:49 +1200
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
To: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>

> On 21/04/2020, at 9:45 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Mr Daley,
> At 05:57 PM 19-04-2020, Jay Daley wrote:
>> Another way of looking at this is that the IESG have a set of responsibilities (delegated authorities if you prefer) as does the IETF Executive Director and as does the IRTF Chair, and if those get together to coordinate on how they do their work and do not exceed any of their responsibilities then why does that need a label or formal recognition?  Or is it your view that a) the responsibilities have been exceeded; or b) this type coordination across roles needs community consensus approval before it is allowed to happen?  Your note implies b) rather than a) which seems surprising so I suspect I'm just missing a nuance.
>
> There is a policy (BCP) about the meeting stuff.  It sets guidance for the IASA.  Are you are referring to that as the delegated authority?  There isn't anything in there about delegated authority for the IESG.

(To be clear, I don’t speak for the IESG, this is just a pointer to the relevant source of delegated authority)

RFC 3710, Section 1.1 sets out role of the IESG as follows:

   The Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) is the group
   responsible for the direct operation of the IETF and for ensuring the
   quality of work produced by the IETF.

   The IESG charters and terminates working groups, selects their
   chairs, monitors their progress and coordinates efforts between them.
   The IESG performs technical review and approval of working group
   documents and candidates for the IETF standards track, and reviews
   other candidates for publication in the RFC series.  It also
   administers IETF logistics, including operation of the Internet-Draft
   document series and the IETF meeting event.

The phrase "IETF meeting event" in the last sentence is the most relevant, but the first sentence "direct operation of the IETF" can also be read into this context.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director