Re: "Management team"

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 21 April 2020 01:10 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 21:10:36 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
cc: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: "Management team"

Jay, Brian,

A comment that I hope is just a clarification, not a
disagreement, but it may be what much of this discussion and,
some other ones, are about.

If one reads the various procedural documents, rather than
extrapolating from some recent events, the IESG actually has
very little power or authority other that as an interpreter or
judge of community consensus.  In your terms,  there is very
little delegated authority.  The IAB and the LLC Board do, and
you do, but the IESG does not (and, in case you don't know, the
present organizational structure of the IETF was the result of
the then-IAB deciding that its delegated authority allowed it to
get too far disconnected from community consensus).   Under
exceptional circumstances, my experience has been that the
community has been, and is, very pragmatic but still expects to
be informed and, if appropriate, to comment.

Let me give two examples that might help:

(1) I very much appreciate your description of the Meetecho
situation vis-a-vis IETF 107.  But it might have been better had
that explanation appeared in March, when the decision was made,
rather than this week, after some speculations (and rumors)
started circulating.

(2) When there is not an emergency, a statement that sounds like
"we are making a plan and when we are finished, we will tell you
about it" sounds, using Brian's terminology, a bit king-like.
"Several of us are talking and trying to formulate a draft plan
that will then be presented to the community for review and
input just like the assessment criteria were" would have a
rather different ring to it, don't you think?

There is at least one more important aspect of this (and a major
component of why I used the "management team" terminology).
The IETF has a well-established mechanism for requesting that
various leadership bodies review and reconsider their decisions
(somewhat misnamed, IMO, as the appeal procedure).  If the IESG
makes a decision that someone in the community believes was
ill-considered or does not represent community consensus, it is
clear how that review is requested.  Similarly for the IRTF
Chair or a decision of the IAB.  I'd have to go back and look at
the IASA2 documents but I assume there is some mechanism, even
if it were just an ad hoc one, to ask you to reconsider a
decision or to ask the LLC Board to review it with you.  But, if
you, or the IESG, or someone else forms a decision-making team,
especially one consisting of people for whom there are three
different reconsideration/appeals chains and hence possibly none
at all for team/group decisions, then it is, to borrow from
George Michaelson's note, a change of operating model.  And
that, it seems to me (and apparently to him) requires an
opportunity for discussion and either community consensus
consent or some adjustment and then consent to that.

thanks,
  john

--On Monday, April 20, 2020 15:34 +1200 Brian E Carpenter