Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov> Wed, 28 November 2007 23:03 UTC

From: Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:02:56 -0500
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: IAB <iab@ietf.org>, ietf@ietf.org, IESG IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

I can think of an example where a minor clarification was made in
AUTH 48.  The appropriate AD confirmed the
change but it still proved to be very controversial.  (For the life
of me, I have *never* understood why.  I have read that
sentence a thousand times, and I still don't see the problem.  Not
that it matters here, of course.)  I don't know
if an appeal for AUTH 48 changes has ever been filed, but I could
certainly see it happening.

There is no way to ensure that documents aren't published until *all*
the appeals timers expire.  Given that, let's
encourage the RFC Editor to publish when ready, and we can
concentrate on establishing a process that works
when the appeal concerns a published document.

Tim