RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

John Hearty <John.H.Hearty@mci.com> Thu, 11 February 1999 21:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:55:00 -0600
From: John Hearty <John.H.Hearty@mci.com>
To: Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM
CC: "Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <Steven.R.Donovan@mci.com>, "'iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com'" <iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com>, "'confctrl@ISI.EDU'" <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

 This draft was written in part to address a concern that stateful
SIP proxy servers could have sessions marked active when in fact they
have been terminated, and invalid state data could remain indefinately
in the server.  It is true that BYE messages could be ignored, but
that would have to be coordinated by all parties wishing to remain
in the session, and then they are just using the IP access pipe they
are already paying for.  You could even go one step further in that
line of thinking and have the originator send a Cancel instead of an
ACK once it got the session info back from the terminator in a 200 OK,
thereby never starting the session, but coordination from both ends
would again be required.  So other than setting up the session (which
could be a billable event), coordination of the session from that point
on would be up to the involved clients, no different than what is now
available.

John Hearty
MCI Worldcom
Global Network Evolution