RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

"Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <Steven.R.Donovan@mci.com> Tue, 16 February 1999 14:32 UTC

From: "Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <Steven.R.Donovan@mci.com>
To: "'Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM'" <Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM>
Cc: "'confctrl@ISI.EDU'" <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:31:17 -0000
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

	The SIP Session Timer draft allows the server to time out sessions
that have not been extended.  The FOOBAR process is a re-INVITE with a new
session-expires header.  The only difference is that the initial INVITE has
the clients requesting duration, where your proposal has the model of the
SIP server specifying the initial duration.

	The question of the softness or hardness of the state is up the SIP
server implementation.

	I suppose one optimization to the current draft is to give the SIP
Server the ability to specify an acceptable session time in the situations
where the client either doesn't specify a duration or when the client
specifies an unacceptable (too long) duration.