Re: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

John Hearty <John.H.Hearty@mci.com> Wed, 17 February 1999 16:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:52:00 -0600
From: John Hearty <John.H.Hearty@mci.com>
To: Conference Control List <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
CC: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dnrc.bell-labs.com>, Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM, Dean Willis <Dean.Willis@mci.com>
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

In a separate mail, Steve Donovan wrote:

>    I suppose one optimization to the current draft is to give the SIP
>Server the ability to specify an acceptable session time in the situations
>where the client either doesn't specify a duration or when the client
>specifies an unacceptable (too long) duration.

As Steve noted, we could add some information (in the reject?) to the
client indicating what timeout (max/min?) was allowed when a reject
was sent back to a client.  His draft seems to put control of the timer
with the originating client, and this suggested negotiation would work
well in that case.  Something more complex and uglier might be needed
if the terminating client were allowed to change the timer value in
the 200 OK.  I do not see any value added in allowing the terminating
client to modify the timer.

John H.