RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM (Patrice Calhoun) Fri, 12 February 1999 20:50 UTC

From: Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:45:31 -0800
To: "Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <Steven.R.Donovan@mci.com>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dnrc.bell-labs.com>, "'Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM'" <Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM>
Cc: Douglas Clowes <dclowes@ozemail.com.au>, "'confctrl@ISI.EDU'" <confctrl@ISI.EDU>, "'iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com'" <iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

>This is an interesting discussion, however I'm not sure that we are going to
>get answers to the questions that Pat is asking.  Only time will tell how
>services providers make money off of IP based telephony services.
>
>However, this is not the purpose of proposing the addition of the session
>timer to the SIP protocol.  The primary purpose is to give the stateful SIP
>Proxy Server a method of determining the validity of the individual sessions
>for which it is keeping state.
>
>Are there comments on the mechanisms proposed in the session-timer draft?

Yes, and I appologize for side-tracking the whole thread. Is there anyway
that we could have shorter INVITEs (perhaps the SIP Server can determine
the length of a session), and have the SIP Client re-register with the
server periodically, such as:

   SIP Client --------- INVITE ------------> SIP Server
               (some stuff happens here)
   SIP Client < ------- ACK (3 mins) ------- SIP Server
   (2 mins 45 seconds pass, enough to allow for retransmissions)
   SIP Client ---------- FOOBAR -----------> SIP Server
   (where FOOBAR is some message that refreshes the session)

This would allow the SIP Server to have soft-state and time out any sessions
that have not been re-registered (or foobar'ed in the above example).

PatC