RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

"Dean Willis" <Dean.Willis@MCI.COM> Sat, 13 February 1999 04:22 UTC

From: Dean Willis <Dean.Willis@MCI.COM>
To: Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM, "Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <Steven.R.Donovan@MCI.COM>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Cc: Douglas Clowes <dclowes@ozemail.com.au>, confctrl@ISI.EDU, iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:22:01 -0600
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

Ahah! Finally back on track.

Pat Calhoun asked
> Steve Donovan said:
> >Are there comments on the mechanisms proposed in the
> session-timer draft?
>
> Yes, and I appologize for side-tracking the whole thread. Is
> there anyway
> that we could have shorter INVITEs (perhaps the SIP Server
> can determine
> the length of a session), and have the SIP Client re-register
> with the
> server periodically, such as:
>
>    SIP Client --------- INVITE ------------> SIP Server
>                (some stuff happens here)
>    SIP Client < ------- ACK (3 mins) ------- SIP Server
>    (2 mins 45 seconds pass, enough to allow for retransmissions)
>    SIP Client ---------- FOOBAR -----------> SIP Server
>    (where FOOBAR is some message that refreshes the session)

The problem with this approach is that the SIP server (read, proxy) to
which the client REGISTERs may well not be the one with the
state-keeping probem.

Some calls might be signalled:

C-P1-P2-P3-P4-P5-P6-S

Maybe C registers with P1 and S registers with P6. REGISTERS are
targeted at the proxy acting as a location server -- they don't get
proxied along the chain.

Assume P4 has to keep state, because it is a firewall and needs to know
when to tear the ports down. P4 never sees a register, just the
INVITE-OK-ACK sequence. Maybe P4 sees a BYE at the end of the call, or
maybe C and S just get turned off . . .

How does P4 know when to close the ports? It can't. The timer parameter
gives it a way to expire the sessions . . . alternative to probing the
endpoints.

I had earlier discussed an approach method using SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY (P4
SUBSCRIBEs to time-mark NOTIFY events on call X from C and S when it
sees the final ACK of INVITE/OK/ACK for call X). Steve Donovan
counterproposed the INFO method and was kind enough to write an ID on
it.

Different solution, but the problem is the same . . .

Can we at least get some consensus that it IS a problem?

Thanks,

--
Dean Willis