RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

"Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <Steven.R.Donovan@mci.com> Thu, 11 February 1999 22:57 UTC

From: "Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <Steven.R.Donovan@mci.com>
To: "'Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM'" <Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM>, "'iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com'" <iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com>, "'confctrl@ISI.EDU'" <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:56:16 -0700
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

	This depends on the implementation of the SIP Server.  There are
valid reasons to have the SIP Server proxy the IP packets.  But in general,
you are correct.  There will be SIP Servers that do not have a view of the
RTP flow.

> So if this is true, how will a SIP Server (stateful, or stateless) enforce
> any
> session timeouts? A malicious SIP Client can simply keep the session
> active
> for as long as it wishes, ignoring any messages from the SIP Server that
> may
> tell it to disconnect.
>
> This, as far as I can see, could cause some serious problems if one wishes
> deploy a service and still maintain some control over the sessions.
>
> Again, perhaps I am way off here. Any clarifications would certainly be
> appreciated.

	You are correct and I personally would not rely on reporting from
the SIP Server to do reliable billing.  However, if a stateful SIP Proxy
server is built, for whatever reason, the current SIP specification does not
have a mechanism for the SIP server to know which of the sessions for which
it has state are valid.  This draft gives the SIP Server a mechanism to
remove those sessions that it feels are no longer valid.

	The amount of control that a SIP server exerts over sessions is a
separate issue.  As John Hearty accurately points out in a separate email,
the user of the SIP device can choose to bypass the SIP server entirely.
The challenge for service providers will be to implement services that make
user's want to access the service provider's SIP server.