RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM (Patrice Calhoun) Thu, 11 February 1999 19:07 UTC

From: Pat.Calhoun@Eng.Sun.COM
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:02:08 -0800
To: "Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <Steven.R.Donovan@mci.com>, "'iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com'" <iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com>, "'confctrl@ISI.EDU'" <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

Pardon the perhaps very naive question, but I suppose I am not as versant in
SIP as I would like to be.

My understanding is that a SIP Client issues an Invite message to a SIP Server,
which in turn forwards the request to a target SIP Client (or some GW or some
sort). Once the ACK has returned to the originating client, I was under the
impression that both SIP Clients send RTP packets directly to each other,
bypassing the SIP Server (this is where I am unclear).

So if this is true, how will a SIP Server (stateful, or stateless) enforce any
session timeouts? A malicious SIP Client can simply keep the session active
for as long as it wishes, ignoring any messages from the SIP Server that may
tell it to disconnect.

This, as far as I can see, could cause some serious problems if one wishes to
deploy a service and still maintain some control over the sessions.

Again, perhaps I am way off here. Any clarifications would certainly be
appreciated.

PatC