Re: [MMUSIC] Trickle ICE for SIP Questions

"Stach, Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens-enterprise.com> Tue, 09 July 2013 21:20 UTC

From: "Stach, Thomas" <thomas.stach@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>, "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 21:20:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.225]
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Trickle ICE for SIP Questions

[TS] The remainder of the sentence got lost. It should have read "... since it allows easier introduction RTCWEB client with trickle ICE into a SIP network that never used PRACK."

> I get it that you think PRACK is hard to implement.
> But hard compared to *what*? I suspect that this will introduce
> complexity elsewhere.
[TS] With respect to this complexity I just see the 481 handling for the INFO.
Compared to all the new states that I need when I implement PRACK (which can include a new offer as you know), I just have to keep the previously sent provisional response together with the INFO request. The latter I have to keep anyhow for potential retransmissions.
If I get a 481, I resent the 18x and the INFO request.
BTW: Just form emphasis. This is only needed if there is a UDP hop somewhere, in case of TCP/TLS the 18x would never be lost.

> >>     If the response for a request within a dialog is a 481
> >>     (Call/Transaction Does Not Exist) or a 408 (Request Timeout),
> the
> >> UAC
> >>     SHOULD terminate the dialog.
> > [TS] We are in the dialog establishing phase here and when the 180
> was lost we don't even have an early dialog.
> > So this rule does not apply. The 481 to the INFO would rather be the
> indicator for this situation. As stated above we can prescribe that the
> 481 (and only the 481) is to be sent for the INFO and what happens
> next, i.e. retransmit the 180.
>
> This is part of the house of cards that I was talking about.
> You seem to be saying that a special rule should be be adopted,
> allowing
> INFO to be sent from INVITE-UAS before it is known that the dialog has
> been established. And then a special rule for processing 481 responses
> to INFO in this context.
[TS] Let me reject the comparison with a "house of cards". We are currently specifying a new feature. There are no deployed implementations yet. Thus we can exactly specify what should happen at the UAC when it receives an out-of-dialog INFO because the dialog establishing unreliable 18x was lost, i.e. to send 481.
On the UAS side we can also specify what to do when the INFO gets a 481. I.e. resend the 18x and the INFO request.
I consider this closer to a solid foundation than to a house of cards.

Regards
Thomas