Re: [ogpx] VWRAP is going no where.

Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com> Fri, 08 January 2010 13:56 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:57:34 +0100
From: Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>
To: Vaughn Deluca <vaughn.deluca@gmail.com>
Cc: "ogpx@ietf.org" <ogpx@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ogpx] VWRAP is going no where.

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:24:59PM +0100, Vaughn Deluca wrote:
> I am sorry to say, but this group is hardly taken serious at the moment.
>
> --Vaughn

Surely you mean: "It seems that this group is hardly taken serious at
the moment" (by the Lindens that are working behind closed doors),
as opposed to that you are not taking it seriously?

Linden Lab is has been doing this as standard company policy: do
all the work without telling anyone, and then announce it wrapped
in a PR wrapping of "we're reading all your feedback", but in
practise ignoring that feedback. I'm sure I don't have to bullet
list when this happened in the past (and is still ongoing for xstreet
and the script limtis). The latest frustration that can be added to
this list is "viewer 2.0" about which every Linden (as part of
a company wide policy) refuses (is not allowed to) give out ANY
information, not even to the hard working snowglobe volunteers.
That this seriously obstructs the work on snowglobe doesn't
seem to be cared about.

So, it's with well-grounded suspicion that I see the same
thing happen here. No communication, everything behind closed
doors until it's FINISHED?!

This is not going to work I hope, since Linden Lab cannot
dictate to the rest of the world what the VWRAP standard
is going to be (or can they? After all, Microsoft recently did
the same with the document standard, despite many protests
and people even walking out).

So, Infinity, I call upon you: publish what you already wrote.
The first chapter, anything, so that we can start something
constructive.

In the past you wrote me sarcastic private emails in the line
of "Oh great Carlo, I'm looking forward to seeing your draft
posted on the net", while I can't remember having said anything
about writing a draft. You are though.

If I had the idea that a draft that I'd write would be accepted
I'd surely be working on it. But from where I'm standing that
seems just a waste of time. So, instead I'm waiting for the
Big Guys that have some weight after them to publish their thoughts
and then try get attention to the most horrific problems or
missing parts that I spot, hoping to get a discussion going
between the Big Guys about that point. I'm sure, by now, that
if it was only you and me, I'd be totally ignored :/

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>