Re: [ogpx] VWRAP is going no where.

"Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)" <mike.dickson@hp.com> Mon, 11 January 2010 14:41 UTC

From: "Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)" <mike.dickson@hp.com>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, Morgaine <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com>, "ogpx@ietf.org" <ogpx@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:40:26 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [ogpx] VWRAP is going no where.

Having done a fair bit of standards work, I'd add this observation: it's also not uncommon for groups (corporations, etc) to do some prototype work along with a proposal for a protocol. In a best case scenarios there are multiple such proposals with real proof points in the implementation.  The "process" is then used to reconcile the various proposals down to the final standard.  Ideally this is done against and RFP that lists the requirements that must be met.

I'm hopeful that this is what's actually taking place (and encourage others with ideas about how things could be implemented: perhaps the OpenSIM community for example, to do something similar).  It would be a lot easier to debate the merits of a given approach with a prototype that demonstrates how it might function.

Mike