Re: [ogpx] URI schema for virtual world locations?

Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com> Thu, 21 January 2010 18:46 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:45:52 -0800
From: Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com>
To: "ogpx@ietf.org" <ogpx@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ogpx] URI schema for virtual world locations?

I think the point is that rather than defining a URI scheme for
VWRAP-implementing virtual worlds in general - which might imply namespace
management and/or conventions and organization (i.e. you MUST have named
regions, you MUST use x/y/z coordinates, you MUST ...) we allow the service
provider to offer any URI scheme but standardize on a payload that is
compatible with the place-agent-in-region part of VWRAP.

For example, Linden Lab offers SLurl.com for Second Life addressing. The
fact that visiting http://slurl.com/Ahern/128/128/20 provides a redirect to
secondlife:///Ahern/128/128/20 (and the SL client is registered to handle
the secondlife: scheme) is an implementation detail. Implementing new
schemes is frowned upon. The preferred approach is to return a document with
the correct Internet Content Type and have an application register to handle
the content type. (i.e. what Meadhbh said!)

So we *still* have URIs, but the URIs are real honest-to-goodness HTTP(S)
URLs that return actual documents. (You can imagine a trivial redirect site
that transforms the URL structure into an LLSD document for a known
parameter set.)