Re: X.500, Naming and the Internet

yeongw@spartacus.psi.com Thu, 06 February 1992 01:46 UTC

To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: X.500, Naming and the Internet
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1992 19:13:13 -0500
From: yeongw@spartacus.psi.com

> uh? What the hell is the French government doing here!

What the French government is doing here is central to this discussion.

The point I've been trying to make is that you don't want to create
DIT structure independent of the real world. Instead you want the DIT
to be a reflection of the real world.

In the case of civil infrastructure in the Directory, the paragraph
above implies that the DIT should reflect the structure of the real
world -- which, for France, is determined by the French government.

> I assure you that it
> has a lot of more urgent problems to deal with. Besides, value added
> computer service is a deregulated authority, in which the government does
> not even has the right to intervene, following EC rules.

I believe you. But the point is that regardless of whether a government
can intervene in the operation of some part of the Directory, I'm arguing
that the Directory should mirror the structure set up by the government
(in the case of the civil namespace).

> I can use whatever keys I want for my databases, and the government has
> nothing to say to it.

That's exactly the point. I'm arguing for a model where you can't use
arbitrary "keys" (DNs). Using arbitrary DNs is the registration model.

I'm arguing for a model where DNs are derived algorithmically
from names assigned by external registration authorities.

Wengyik