Re: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft

Erblichs <erblichs@earthlink.net> Fri, 18 August 2006 22:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:03:33 -0700
From: Erblichs <erblichs@earthlink.net>
To: Manav Bhatia <manav_bhatia06@yahoo.co.uk>, ospf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft

Manav Bhatia,

	Did you read my email and my arguments.

	I am only concerned/dealing with interoperability...
	The Secondly section deals with Key-ID..

	Section D3 specifies MD5 as the only auth method. It specificly
	stated "message digest".
	1) Do you agree?

	In every implementation that I know of type 2 is MD5. That
	makes it a MD5 "defacto standard" with respect to type 2.
	2) Do you agree? Do you know what is meant as a "defacto
	  standard"?

	Please inform me of at least 1 implmentation does not assume
	type 2 is MD5 that is not based on this draft.
	3) Do you know of even 1 customer released implementation?

	Until that is the case, I think type 2 should be "reserved" for
	MD5 to DECREASE the chance of any interoperability concerns.

	Their is no reason that I know of, that a additional type, say type
	3 could not then be used for this RFC's auth method..
	4) Why can't shouldn't a new type be specified?

	Thus, the point is that if ALL implementations before this draft
	suggestion used type 2 as MD5, why shouldn't a new type be used
	for HMAC-SHA?

	Secondly:
	I understand that the "Key-ID" from 2328 is supposely to identify the
	alg and secret key,  per "interface".
	However, I have no knowledge that certain bits within the key-id would
	IETF uniquely identify MD5 vs HMAC-SHA. Until someone informs me that
	all key-ids have this global uniqueness. With virtual interfaces
	and non-interface flooding scope OSPF pkts, I consider this a possible
	issue that doesn't need to be addressed when their is a simple ANSWER.

	THEN, since we have additional types available and 100% of
implementations
	use MD5 as type 2, I would hope that some else with more clought would
	have suggested, the simple approach and officially allocate type 2 as
MD5 and
	allocate a new type for additional auth methods..
	I am actually surprised that I saw no-one else suggested this!!!!

	Mitchell Erblich