Re: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft

Erblichs <erblichs@earthlink.net> Mon, 28 August 2006 21:14 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:12:36 -0700
From: Erblichs <erblichs@earthlink.net>
To: Vishwas Manral <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft

Group,

	Sometimes a minor opinion..

	First. Up to this point, IMO, 99%+ nbr misconfigs
	could be debuged at 1 local router with review of
	incoming pkts. With this "work-in-progress",
	this will NO longer be the case if we overload
	type 2.

	What is a 'Must' clause going to achieve?

	  By default ALL implementations support MD5, simple/clear,
	  and NULL auth. The only high probability of a nbr
	  formation is to use one of these three. Yes, MD5 was
	  the defacto standand auth 2 algor.

	  Thus, any algor that super-ceeds one of these auths,
	  at this time, will not guarantee interoperability.

	  However, as pointed out in the draft, the highest
	  common auth is not highly secure, but could be used
	  as a fall back. Yes, the admin would see either before
	  or after a nbr formation attempt that a mismatch
	  exists, and reconfigs the routers to use the fallback.

	  Thus, to support backward compatibility and to secure
	  against SOME attacks, IMO all configs SHOULD/MUST support
	  MD5.

	  If this is the case, would the clause only improve the
	  chance that "MD5" is not removed as newer algors are
	  supported?

	  Or is their a thought for a algor other than MD5 to
	  specified as the MUST algor?

	Mitchell Erblich