Re: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft

"Tom Sanders" <toms.sanders@gmail.com> Mon, 21 August 2006 11:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:50:38 +0530
From: Tom Sanders <toms.sanders@gmail.com>
To: ospf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft

Folks,

Obviously the point that Erblichs is trying to make is that OSPF may
be "technically" capable of supporting HMAC-SHA authentication in its
current form, but OAM may be an issue and it may become harder to
debug an auth mismatch.

In the end the operator can always look at the router configurations
in case OSPF doesnt come up and would know that the auth algos dont
match. This can then be fixed.

Yeah ..Yeah .. I understand this!

What i miserably fail to understand is the reluctance in the WG to use
a new authentication type. We have 16 bits reserved for this field and
i dont see this being used up any time in the coming future.

Explictly indicating the auth algo details in the header makes, in my
view, debugging extremely easy. I understand that we would be eating
up type codes that we would have to fill in the OSPF header each time
we come up with a new authentication algorithm but given the size of
this field i dont think its a point of concern.

Is it possible to poll the WG on what they think is the right
approach? Chairs, Authors?

The poll should be on whether we should proceed as-is in the draft or
should we use a new type field for each new authentication scheme that
we come out with?

--
Toms.