RE: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft

Manav Bhatia <manav_bhatia06@yahoo.co.uk> Wed, 23 August 2006 09:50 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:23:45 +0000
From: Manav Bhatia <manav_bhatia06@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: RE: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft
To: sujayg@huawei.com
Cc: ospf@ietf.org, vishwas.manral@gmail.com

Sujay,

OSPF can make use of various cryptographic algorithms in order to authenticate its packets. Your concern is wrt interoperability between disparate implementations where a particular implementation may not implement some certain mandatory-to-implement algorithms. To ensure this doesn’t happen, it is necessary to specify a set of mandatory-to-implement algorithms so that there is at least one algorithm that all implementations will have available.

We cannot assume this mandatory-to-implement algorithm to be MD5, as this has been broken. MD5CRK, was a distributed computing project to break the MD5 hash algorithm in a short period of time. The project closed down with the publication of their paper by Wang, X. et al., "Collisions for Hash Functions MD4, MD5, HAVAL-128 and RIPEMD", August 2004, http://eprint.iacr.org/2004/199

draft-bhatia-manral-crypto-req-ospf-00.txt defines the current set of mandatory-to-implement algorithms that can be used for the cryptographic authentication for OSPF as well as specifies the algorithms that should/must be implemented because they may get promoted to mandatory at some future time.

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ospf/draft-bhatia-manral-crypto-req-ospf-00.txt

Cheers,
Manav