Re: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft

Dave Katz <dkatz@juniper.net> Wed, 23 August 2006 15:12 UTC

From: Dave Katz <dkatz@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Revised OSPF HMAC SHA Authentication Draft
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:11:45 -0600
To: sujay <sujayg@huawei.com>

Sigh.  C'mon, folks, there is no problem.

View the algorithm as simply part of the shared secret.  All
authentication is done between consenting adults and there has to be
out-of-band and a priori agreement on the parameters or the
authentication fails.  Nobody is going to be guessing the algorithm
in use on a particular session any more than they would be guessing
the secret.  And if you want to switch algorithms (which is
essentially just switching secrets) the key ID mechanism is present.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if the value of 2 or 3 or 42
is used;  if there's a mismatch on the the algorithm ID, the
algorithm, or the key, the authentication will fail, and if it all
matches, it will work.  For that matter, I don't think that even the
existing algorithm ID is necessary, since the entire thing has to be
agreed upon a priori anyhow.

For what it's worth, type 2 fits the bill just fine, defined the way
that it is.  If one box does only MD5 and the other box only does
SHA, they cannot talk.  If they share an algorithm, it is up to the
user to configure the two boxes compatibly, like a thousand other
parameters.  While having a separate code point for SHA would have
marginal debugging utility ("wrong algorithm, dummy!") it's no harder
to make sure that this matches on both sides than it is to make sure
the shared secret matches.

--Dave