Re: [tcpm] WGLC: draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-02.txt

Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no> Mon, 08 February 2010 10:31 UTC

From: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
To: David Borman <david.borman@windriver.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:32:53 +0100
Cc: tcpm-chairs@tools.ietf.org, "tcpm@ietf.org WG" <tcpm@ietf.org>, ayourtch@cisco.com, Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] WGLC: draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-02.txt

Read it, and liked it.

Just a few nits:

It seems a bit pointless to repeat the same text in the introduction
and in section 2.1 - in
the first paragraph of the introduction, the part that starts with:
"permits a point in the data
stream to be designated .... " and ends with: "the TCP must tell user
to go into "normal mode" "
(which, by the way, misses a "the" before "user".)

I think that this part could safely be removed from the introduction
and just kept in section 2.1,
and the reference at the end of the first paragraph should then be
moved there too.

Section 3.4:
"As a result of the publication of Network Intrusion Detection (NIDs)
evasion techniques based on
TCP urgent indications [phrack], some middle-boxes clear the urgent
indications by clearing the
URG flag and setting the Urgent Pointer to zero."

=> are you 100% sure that this is the result of the publication of
these techniques?
Otherwise I'd rather state this with "perhaps".

a bit further down:
"Examples of such middle-boxes are Cisco PIX firewall [Cisco-PIX]."

should be "An example of such a middle-box is the ..."

next sentence:
"This should discourage applications to depend"
=>
"This should discourage applications from depending"
(I think - I'm not a native speaker myself)
Cheers,
Michael