Re: [Terminology] [Gendispatch] WG Review: Effective Terminology in IETF Documents (term)

reynolds@cogitage.pairsite.com Sat, 24 April 2021 23:48 UTC

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 19:48:00 -0400
From: reynolds@cogitage.pairsite.com
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: gendispatch@ietf.org, terminology@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Terminology] [Gendispatch] WG Review: Effective Terminology in IETF Documents (term)

(I am a new subscriber, so I apologize in advance if I break any
conventions.  Thanks.)

A couple of points concerning a list, I would think that any list of
good words would have to say the bad words with which the good
correlate.  Otherwise one is in the position of a person trying to guess
from contextuual clues what a redacted word might be.  Which is common
in living languages, but is difficult without some amount of shared
context.  But including the bad words leads to the problem of
auto-filtering eliminating the list; which leads to the need for a
special status by which bad words can be identified as being merely
written about.  (This is the usual problem of confusing meaningful use
of a word versus merely talking about the word as a word, ie mentioning
it.  There is a lot of philosophy and logic about this.  The usual
solution is to distinguish mention cases by identifying with some or
other quote mark--including finger quotes--any occurrence of a word
being mentioned.)

As for having a list, I think any occurrence can be taken to be a list,
eg a singleton word-pair can be taken to be a one-member list, normal in
computing.  If the example is in regular prose writing, there is more
context than there is for the usual idea of the efficiency of the list
form.  A hybrid could be a list entry being a word-pair plus a brief
example usage.

As for controversy, these are controversial times.  If IETF wants some
internal advice people--internal or exteral--can refer to, why not try
to do one's part to help.

Cheers.
Tom

On 24.04.2021 16:25, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> On 24/04/2021 09:31, Lloyd W wrote:
>> Stephen
>>
>> how can you support this if you think a list of bad terms is a
>> mistake, which means that you don't support this?
>
> No that's not correct. The list is only one aspect of the
> overall charter.
>
> I'm fine with a WG crafting an informational RFC that gives
> us better guidance as to how to write better drafts, and am
> ok that that includes a few examples of terms that are now
> considered less good.
>
> I think a curated list of bad terms is a mistake because it
> threatens to prolong and occasionally re-ignite controversies
> around terminology. Secondly, no matter what opinion one
> holds on any specific term, the risk exists that the list's
> then curators have the opposite opinion at some future date.
> So, I think it's a mistake to consider such a list from any
> starting position.
>
> Cheers,
> S.
  . . .