Re: [v6ops] Apple and IPv6, a few clarifications - ND proxy for bridging hotspots

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 24 June 2015 14:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:12:19 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Apple and IPv6, a few clarifications - ND proxy for bridging hotspots

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Le 24/06/2015 09:15, David Schinazi a écrit :
> Hi again,
>
> First off, thanks everyone for the feedback and advice! Here's an
> attempt at answering the questions that arose since my last post.
>
> *) Personal hotspot on iOS Currently the hotspot shares whatever
> address families it gets from the cellular network. The current
> implementation broadcasts an IPv6-only network if the cellular
> network is of that type, but I could imagine carriers bringing up
> IPv4 specifically when using this feature. Our custom version of
> prefix sharing is described in more detail here:
> https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-2782.1.97/bsd/netinet6/nd6_prproxy.c

I looked at the file. It does proxy Neighbor Discovery in order to
bridge. Proxy ND is an EXPERIMENTAL RFC4389. 64share is an
INFORMATIONAL RFC7278. This means they are not the perfect way to aim
for interoperability. An Apple smartphone could not talk to a GM car
(just examples of brand names).

In the car use-case the smartphone connects to the dashboard using a ptp
link.  And it's the car's dashboard which offers a WiFi hotspot.  These
couldn't be bridged (ND proxy) by the smartphone alone, it would need
the dashboard router to participate in this ND proxy.

What the smartphone needs is to route with longest-prefix matching and
use different prefixes on each interface.  That is an interoperable way
to connecting different subnets, and the RFCs are typically on the Stds
Track (not INFORMATIONAL, nor EXPERIMENTAL).

Isn't the car use-case important for Apple smartphones?

(I mention car use-case because I work on these these days, but the
discussion of ND proxy is much older and it originated in a home context
with cable ISP and IPv6).

> It supports creating multiple hotspots at the same time, such as
> Wi-FI and Bluetooth and bridges them.

But insecurely.  Bluetooth and WiFi have different security mechanisms.
  The security mechanisms wouldn't bridge.

> *) iOS and cellular carrier networks I do not know if or when
> specific carriers plan to change their IPv6 policies. That said, we
> do believe there is a growing trend towards IPv6. When roaming
> between carriers, your device will get new addresses and could
> possibly switch between address families.

I agree.

Alex