Re: [v6ops] Apple and IPv6, a few clarifications - ND proxy for bridging hotspots

Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com> Fri, 26 June 2015 14:11 UTC

From: Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 07:11:26 -0700
To: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Apple and IPv6, a few clarifications - ND proxy for bridging hotspots

> On Jun 25, 2015, at 23:48 , Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au <mailto:markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>> wrote:

I’m all for intelligent defaults in the settings in question, but I want the ability to make those choices without having to plug/unplug hardware.

Cars are mobile. Phones are mobile. Carrier policies less so. It may well be that I have different phones for different localities. When I’m home, I want to use the SIM I put in the car. When I drive somewhere else I may well want to switch off of using that SIM onto using a phone which I maintain for that locality. I don’t want to have to make hardware changes to facilitate this.

Until you can get carriers to offer reasonable roaming prices (along the lines of current T-Mo free international data or better), these kinds of needs will persist.

If you want examples of just how bad this is, single-SIM phones are the exception rather than the rule if you shop for a phone in Hong Kong. Most have dual-SIM capability and some even take 3 last I looked.

I don’t hold T-Mo up as any sort of shining example in general, but their pricing plan is the one and only one reason I’m using them for now. Other carriers should take note of this if they want my business.

Owen