Re: [v6ops] draft-xli-v6ops-ivi-icmp-address (was re: Fwd: 82nd IETF DRAFT Agenda)

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Fri, 28 October 2011 14:01 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, "v6ops@ietf.org WG" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:01:11 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: V6ops Chairs <v6ops-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-xli-v6ops-ivi-icmp-address (was re: Fwd: 82nd IETF DRAFT Agenda)

I share some of the concerns raised by other folks regarding how this gets treated across AS boundaries, but probably this means that it's useful discussion to have in a WG meeting to determine if there is a way to meet the needs of the solution without creating concerns for operators about the traffic.

However, I'd like to pose a different question -
This is basically an effort to complete previously incomplete work on RFC6145, which was managed through BEHAVE. I know that BEHAVE is likely being closed down, but based on my read of the AD and list discussion, this was because there was not enough additional work to be undertaken to justify a recharter. No commentary intended on that front, but should we expect that our WG, which was already trying to find work to shed will now be seeing more orphaned BEHAVE work? Should we perhaps be pushing back on the decision to close down BEHAVE, or pushing back on those who are pursuing additional work in that space given that the consensus seems to be "we're done now"?

Thanks
Wes George