Re: [v6ops] Fwd: 82nd IETF DRAFT Agenda

Xing Li <xing@cernet.edu.cn> Thu, 27 October 2011 23:48 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:48:29 +0800
From: Xing Li <xing@cernet.edu.cn>
To: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org WG" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Fwd: 82nd IETF DRAFT Agenda

Hi, Ray,

Thanks for your mial.

? 2011/10/27 4:04, Ray Hunter ??:
> I raised concerns about draft-xli-v6ops-ivi-icmp-address-00.txt when
> it was originally discussed on this list last July.
>
> The draft has not been updated since, so my concerns remain.

Yes, we have all the records of the previous mails and we will update
the draft. Thanks.

> There now seems to be a number of people on the list who see its
> benefit, and are supporting the draft.
>
> IMHO Due consideration should be made to weigh up the likely
> operational cost incurred because (many?) operators will have to
> change a lot of operational filters (to avoid the very likely abuse of
> this special range as a DDOS source) against the likely operational
> benefit for the (few?) operators who have applied this technology.
>
> There are alternatives available for address ranges to use as a source
> address of translations within the AS without assigning a new global
> special purpose range (either RFC1918, or a privately assigned block
> of public IPv4 addresses from existing space, which can be shared
> between operators).
>
> Admittedly the alternatives are not very attractive. But neither is
> the translation of ICMP messages into a packet that carries very
> little value or information when observed outside of its own AS, which
> is not traceable, and which could in fact become a danger thus
> triggering a need for mass packet filter updates.
>
> I asked at the time: can anyone think of any other example of a
> "one-way" special purpose packet that is allowed to leave the link,
> never mind the AS?  RFC1918 addresses are not allowed to cross
> inter-enterprise links (for good reasons).

Due to the IPv4 address depletion, more and more IPv4/IPv6 translators
are being deployed. We need a guideline for representing
non-IPv4-translatable address as the source address in ICMP packets.
Based on our operation experience, allocating a special IPv4 //24 is a
reasonable choice. If we can move forward, there will be enough time for
ISPs to update the filters.

Regards,

xing