Re: [6lowpan] -nd-15: DAD requirement seems too strict

"Colin O'Flynn" <coflynn@newae.com> Fri, 25 February 2011 13:41 UTC

From: Colin O'Flynn <coflynn@newae.com>
To: 'Anders Brandt' <abr@sdesigns.dk>, zach@sensinode.com, '6lowpan' <6lowpan@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:41:53 +0100
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] -nd-15: DAD requirement seems too strict

Hi Anders,

I'm still reading through -15 too, so just wanted to add other comments.

I think part of the problem is you can register any address you want, not
necessarily one based on a MAC address. EUI64-based addresses can be
globally unique, so you can reliably skip DAD on those.

An address generated from a MAC address, if that MAC address is not globally
unique, could potentially collide with another address.

This is very unlikely, as someone would have to randomly choose an IPv6
address in the same space as your MAC-address-derived space.

If you had a closed network where you don't have the 'idiot node' picking
addresses randomly in your space, you could skip DAD. But I think if you had
such a closed network you wouldn't care enough about sticking to the RFCs
anyway.

Regards,

  -Colin