Re: [6lowpan] -nd-15: Battery host support seems to be incomplete

Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu> Tue, 01 March 2011 07:02 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 01:03:43 -0600
From: Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu>
To: Anders Brandt <abr@sdesigns.dk>
Cc: 6lowpan <6lowpan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] -nd-15: Battery host support seems to be incomplete

Hi Anders

>If an originating node (keyfob or remote control) has lost all its
>working routes to a FLN, it must re-discover a source route to the FLN.
>But the FLN is sleeping.
>I would like a flag in the ARO: "advertise on behalf".
>If set, a default router may use the neighbor information to respond
>to discovery requests. The actual response format obviously depends
>on the actual routing protocol. RPL-P2P is just my actual example.
>Thus, how the default router uses the information is out of scope of
>the ND spec.

A very good point.

Normally, a 6lowpan host would use the ARO in NS/NA messages to register its address with one or more 6LRs. But, section 6.5.5 in nd-15 draft allows two 6LRs to learn each other's link layer addresses using the ARO mechanism. So, it seems that a registered NCE in a 6LR does not necessarily refer to a 6lowpan host and this 6LR, if it is running RPL, can not advertize this NCE address in its DAO or respond to RPL-P2P route discovery messages listing this NCE address as the target.

The ARO flag you mentioned will solve this problem. The 6lowpan hosts would set this flag in the AROs they send, whereas the 6LRs wont.

Thanks
Mukul