Re: [87attendees] IETF wireless

Dan Harkins <dharkins@arubanetworks.com> Thu, 08 August 2013 16:06 UTC

From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@arubanetworks.com>
To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu>, "chelliot@pobox.com" <chelliot@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 16:06:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.8.202]
Cc: "87attendees@ietf.org" <87attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [87attendees] IETF wireless

On 8/8/13 5:10 AM, "Stefan Winter" <stefan.winter@restena.lu> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> The cert we are using for the IETF SSIDs authenticated via 802.1X (not
>> including eduroam) is from the same CA that is providing the certs for
>> the rest of the IETF (including web, email, dnssec, and more, I
>> believe). This CA (Starfield Secure Certification Authority) is in most
>> or all recent OSes and browsers root certificate store. Which means most
>> 802.1X supplicants /can/ verify the server cert we supply. It's up to
>> the user to not un-check the "Check server cert" box! Our thought was
>> that that was sufficient.
>
>No! This is a common misconception. The "browser trust" and EAP trust
>are different, and it is insignificant if the CA used is in the browser
>trust store or not.
>
>It may save you the step of installing the PEM file itself, sure, but
>the crucial part is that you need to be able to tell your EAP supplicant
>on the device that the expected server cert comes from *exactly one* CA.
>
>Further to this, contrary to the web browser case, you need to manually
>configure which server name to expect; in the browser, this is
>explicitly input by the user in his URL bar - but no equivalent of that
>exists for EAP.
>
>We have fought for years to get that into our Identity Providers' heads.
>Our official eduroam documentation has an extensive section about all
>the concepts and nits to consider:
>
>https://confluence.terena.org/display/H2eduroam/EAP+Server+Certificate+con
>siderations
>
>If you don't pin the exact CA *and* server name in config, you make
>yourself susceptible to MitM attacks still:
>
>- if you trust all CAs in the "browser trust" store: the MitM gets
>himself an arbitrary certificate from any CA in the trust store and uses
>it for his fraudulent EAP server - your EAP supplicant would trust it,
>even if it has nothing to do with your EAP server.
>
>- if you don't verify the name (but the exact CA): the MitM tries to
>connect to the genuine network once, sees which CA is expected, goes to
>the same CA and gets himself a certificate for an unrelated name (to
>which he is entitled to by say having a corresponding domain name). He
>sets up a fraudulent EAP server with that certificate - your EAP
>supplicant will accept it even if he does the extra step of verifying
>the CA.
>
>> However, we certainly can look into doing as you suggest and publishing
>> more information. Of course, the page we post this to will probably also
>> be verified by this same CA... ;-)
>
>That's the default CA bootstrap problem. You can put the CA's
>fingerprint in a text file, and PGP-sign the file with IETF brass PGP
>keys if you like :-)

  Trust stores... CA bootstrapping.... Maybe we should get some
authentication scheme on the ietf.1x network that doesn't require using
certificates. Maybe RFC 5931 :-) There's none of that "inner method"
nonsense, no need to select a CA, no real identity versus anonymous
identity issues.

  I certainly would not mind eating that brand of dog food.

  Dan.