Re: [gaia] What if all phones were always on the Internet?

"El Khatib, Yehia (elkhatib)" <y.elkhatib@lancaster.ac.uk> Sat, 28 November 2015 10:48 UTC

From: "El Khatib, Yehia (elkhatib)" <y.elkhatib@lancaster.ac.uk>
To: Steve Song <stevesong@nsrc.org>, gaia <gaia@irtf.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 10:48:28 +0000
x-originating-ip: [146.90.37.208]
x-iss-local-domain: 1
Subject: Re: [gaia] What if all phones were always on the Internet?

Nice idea, Steve.

The selectivity is slowly becoming in the hand of the consumer, as with newer Android versions like you mentioned.

However, most services (read: majority of cloud-hosted services) are developed with an assumption of over provisioned networks. This results in "chatty application syndrome”, and becomes very apparent when you take said application and try to run it over a poor network. So my point is, developers could and perhaps should equip their services for deployment in poor network conditions. I wrote a short piece about this earlier in the year: http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~elkhatib/Docs/2015.11_ccis.pdf

/Yehia

--
Dr. Yehia Elkhatib
School of Computing & Communications