Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Thu, 22 May 2008 15:01 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>
Subject: Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 11:00:45 -0400
Cc: Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On May 22, 2008, at 10:35 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Thursday, 22 May, 2008 10:15 -0400 Ed Juskevicius
> <edj@nortel.com> wrote:
>
>> Steve:
>>
>>> Every so often someone suggests RFCs are not first class
>>> documents and hence not comparable to, say, "real"
>>> standards documents. Getting traditional identifiers attached
>>> to them might squelch some of this nonsense.
>
>> I have the impression that we would be pioneering the use of
>> an ISSN to identify a standards' series, if we choose to do
>> this.  The "real" standards from other organizations seem to
>> be identified with individual ISBNs.
>
> If all RFCs were standards, this would be a good argument.
> However, the RFC series contains Standards, various types of
> substandards for which those other bodies either have no
> equivalents or publish differently, experimental protocol
> specifications, BCP statements, and an assortment of
> informational documents.   What an ISSN identifies is the
> series, not the individual documents, and that series is _not_ a
> "standards series".
>
> My impression is that this type of application is not
> particularly novel.   More on that next week.
>
> As I indicated in my note to Melissa, having an ISSN for the
> series would not prevent obtaining ISBNs and/or DOIs for
> selected individual documents, so those ideas are really
> completely separate questions.
>
>> Would the purveyors of nonsense be squelched by an ISSN, or
>> emboldened? Some might cite our decision as yet another
>> example of the IETF doing something different and
>> 'non-standard'.
>
> Very unlikely.  At worst, we would be "accused" of illustrating
> ways in which an existing standard mechanism can be carried
> forward in interesting ways into the modern Internet age.   On
> the other hand, if we treat RFCs as basically paper (and
> page-format) publications that are freely available online as I
> suggested in an earlier note, this becomes that most routine of
> applications.

Here is a concrete suggestion.

We (for some definition of we) have the Internet Journal, which is
paper.
Publish a "Supplement of the Internet Journal," in paper, or on line,
which is

- physically published 3 times a year
- has all of the RFC's published since then
- includes the level 1 RFC errata as available
- includes other notes like RFC's that have been made obsolete, etc.
- charge it to cover costs at least (say, $ 500 / year for a
subscription).

This would be picked up by at least some libraries, and would solve
the "on-line is ephemera" problem.

Regards
Marshall