Re: Question about pre-meeting document posting deadlines for the IESG and the community

Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net> Fri, 15 March 2024 21:17 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: Marc Petit-Huguenin <marc@petit-huguenin.org>
Cc: touch@strayalpha.com, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Question about pre-meeting document posting deadlines for the IESG and the community
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 07:17:01 +1000

Agreed. We really need to have a bit of a general re-think on what we
really want out of these rules instead of (IMO) silly point-fixes that
don't really address the issue. Re-opening the queue on Sunday is
completely counter-productive if the point was not to have new versions
just before the f2f. (Similarly, the current proposal to remove the I-D
expiry date, which I agree is anachronistic and not serving its original
purpose, is another attempt at a simple point fix that does not address
the original reason those dates existed.)

Can we have a go at why we want these mechanisms in the first place
instead of making arbitrary changes? Can the IESG organize that
discussion somewhere?

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best