Re: Last Call on draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-08.txt ("Intellectual Property Rights in IETF Technology")

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 13 April 2016 20:04 UTC

Subject: Re: Last Call on draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-08.txt ("Intellectual Property Rights in IETF Technology")
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, Michael Cameron <michael.cameron@ericsson.com>, Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:04:14 -0400
Cc: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>

John, your memory / perception of the discussion around participation
differs markedly from mine.
Your interpretation that even sitting quietly is still attempting to
influence the outcome is specifically at variance with the discussion
that gave rise to that wording, as I heard it.

I would also note htat any chair who tries to use the number of people
who don't say anything as aqn indication of any aspect of a WG decision
is simply asking for trouble.  Which is why most chairs, when trying to
get a sense of the room on something, always ask the obverse question,
and sometimes even ask "how many people don't care."

Yours,
Joel