Coupling RFC copying conditions with the existence of the IETF (was: Re: draft-bradner-rfc-extracts-00.txt)

Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> Mon, 21 February 2005 09:33 UTC

From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
To: sob@harvard.edu
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:21:28 +0100
Cc: ipr-wg@ietf.org, neroden@twcny.rr.com
Subject: Coupling RFC copying conditions with the existence of the IETF (was: Re: draft-bradner-rfc-extracts-00.txt)
Sender: ipr-wg-bounces@ietf.org

sob@harvard.edu (Scott Bradner) writes:

> sorry - I did see that message but it just looked like you disagree with
> what I wrote
>
> my worries are set down in the ID - you dismiss them out of hand - whats
> to talk about?

That was not my intention.  I believe there were several concrete
questions and problems raised in my message, and not merely opinions.

I will try to reword it, but I wanted to handle the following
separately.

> (by the way
> "there is nothing that guarantee that the IETF will be around forever"
> is a very silly argument - if the ietf were to go away who would complain
> if there were a 1000 things that claimed to be SIP? - whoever it was
> it would not be the ietf so anything by the IETF that said 'don't do
> that' would be far from effective)

I do not think it is a silly argument.  It is not about who will
complain after IETF goes away.  It is about granting the proper rights
to people here and now.

License should be written so there aren't obvious escape holes that
can be used to get around the intention of the license.

Moving the technical work from the legal IETF entity to another legal
entity would be simple, and would nullify anything the IETF agreed to.

The IETFng would have the authority to speak on technical terms re the
older standards, because the technical competence would be in IETFng.
It is the IETF members who make up the trust in IETF, not the IETF's
name itself.

If you believe the problem is silly, why don't consider humoring me
and make sure the license on RFCs aren't tightly coupled to the
existence of some legal entity?  Doing so would make a difference,
e.g., Debian may be in a position to distribute to users my manuals
and software, which are derived from RFCs.

If you have another argument, other than "sillyness", I'd like to hear
it.

Thanks,
Simon