Re: [mpls] working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mip-mep-map

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Wed, 21 November 2012 09:16 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Shahram Davari' <davari@broadcom.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:16:01 -0000
Cc: mpls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mip-mep-map

<co-author mode>

Hi Shahram,

I am worried about the precedent of a comment like this during WG last call.
While comments that improve the document or point out fundamental flaws are
welcome whenever they arrive, points with the flavour "I wouldn't have done it
like this" that arrive this late in the process don't feel very constructive.
But I will leave the chair to worry about process and try to address the
technical points...

> Identifying whether to terminate an OAM packet and process it in In-MIP vs.
Out-
> MIP requires line rate lookup, otherwise the OAM packet will not take the same
> path as data packets.  Therefore any MIP identifier that is proposed in this
draft
> requires one extra lookup and therefore adds significantly to cost.

If I am not wrong, this is a feature of an out-MIP. If you decide to implement
out-MIPs, and if you want the OAM to follow exactly the same path as the data,
then it is a requirement that the out interface inspects the packets (at line
rate) to determine whether they are OAM and targeted at the interface.

We cannot change that aspect. All we can do is aim to make the lookup as easy as
possible.

> Perhaps a
> similar method to Ethernet MDL/MEL (Maintenance Domain Level) may be used
> that requires only 3 bits and achieves the same result.

Perhaps it could.
But before going there, why is the lookup in the current version of the I-D
arduous?

Presumably you do not propose making any change to the way In-MIPs are currently
identified, so the lookups being done at line rate today on the incoming
interfaces will not be changed. If you are proposing such a change, then the
discussion is outside the scope of this I-D and becomes a much wider question
for the working group.

This leaves me with the trade-off of enabling a *simpler* lookup on the outgoing
interfaces versus doing identical lookups on both interfaces. My assumption was
that if the incoming interface can do the lookup at line rate, it is not hard to
perform the same lookup on the outgoing interface. Furthermore, there is a
reduction in complexity by having fewer things to look up.

Another possibility is that the full lookup could be done on the incoming
interface and the packet marked for easy interception on the outgoing interface.
The concern with this approach is that the packet would no longer be being
forwarded exactly as data because it would be being modified in flight.
Furthermore, in the case of P2MP, it is not enough to flag the packet as a local
Out-MIP and further identifier-based lookup is needed.

Some of these issues were raised and discussed as the I-D progressed, and some
of the alternative solutions were tracked with their pros and cons in Appendix A
of the I-D (look at revision -03).

Thanks,
Adrian
draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mip-