Re: [RAI] RAI reorganization

Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com> Thu, 05 February 2009 03:07 UTC

From: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
To: Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, "rai@ietf.org" <rai@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 19:06:29 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [RAI] RAI reorganization

This proposal looks very timely and can solve most problems experienced with SIP today (unless my hopeless optimism is out of place):

 *   Internet-centric Core SIP - happy to see the IETF works for the Internet and not for closed networks, legacy emulation, etc.
 *   Mention of "running code" (is there a way to limit the I-Ds that don't have running code and test results?)
 *   Most of all: Only 5 (five) core SIP RFCs 3261-3265.

So  please forgive my naïve question: Why not consolidate the 5 core SIP RFCs into one single document?

Here is an example why a single SIP RFC would be beneficial:
Metadata on the web enables powerful new services, but requires reference to a URI, such as a SIP RFC. See
http://metadata-stds.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Metadata_Platform
SIP referencing in metadata is only one of many problems caused by not having a single SIP standard document.
There are plenty of other.

How about having a deliverable a single SIP standard document?

Henry