Re: [RAI] RAI reorganization

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Thu, 05 February 2009 15:45 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:40:56 -0600
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Cc: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>, rai@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [RAI] RAI reorganization

I do agree that obsoleting stuff that hasn't been implemented is a really good idea, although I don't think that will make a tremendous difference in terms of the size of documents.

On this topic of how many documents (or pages of specs) one must read, I will note that there are some wonderful books, written by our own experts, that folks can read to get a really good overview. I do think Hitchhikers guide is very useful for this, as well. But, for folks that need the big picture, the books are excellent.

I will also note that this is really no different (sorry) than other telecomm systems (both voice and data).  Back in the old days, everyone coveted their GSM books, which were far, far more compact than the 4 feet of protocol specs.  And, within Nortel, we had a book that described our DMS product (another coveted book) and you'd need a fair size library to house all of the detailed specs - I have about 1/4 of an 8x10 office with boxes stacked 2 high of documents describing the functionality and protocols that I developed (all associated with code that is still running in several commercial systems today ;) And, I think there are other protocols in IETF that are in the same situation (e.g., Mobile IP, which started with a single "simple" spec and also has some nice books).

So, I don't know if we need any other overview documents. And, if folks really believe we do, I wonder if this wouldn't better be done by SIP Forum.

IMHO, what we have now is the reality of commercial systems and we can debate till the cows come home as to whether this should be the case in IETF.  On the other hand, I do think documents like Henry's draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-04 is also appealing to a subset of users/developers. This dichotomy of views on how one should use SIP is due IMHO to the extensible, generally generic and reusable nature of the core SIP protocol (and extensions). It's been well stated at the RAI meeting in Minn. that we are the "victims of our own success"

Regards,
Mary.