Re: [RAI] RAI reorganization

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Thu, 05 February 2009 16:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:58:37 -0600
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, rai@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [RAI] RAI reorganization

Jon and Cullen,

Thanks for putting together this proposal.

Overall, I really like this approach, in particular the evolution of
SIPPING into DISPATCH (for obvious reasons).

I did have some initial confusion over how this would impact other SDOs
SIP requirements and had to re-read section 4, in particular reading RFC
5226 in detail. I am now quite comfortable with this approach, in
particular given that it does REQUIRE an expert review for the IANA
registrations and with the particular the two restrictions in section 4.
I think this will really help the other SDOs in terms of meeting their
requirements and avoiding the black hole that several documents have
fallen into in the SIPPING WG, as well as avoiding the infinite debates
on the "right" way for them to do what they want to do.

In terms of overall RAI structure, as I mentioned at the RAI meeting in
Minn., I think that we already have the cluster concept and the right
place for designating the expert reviewers in the RAI review team.
Although, it's not clear to me whether DISPATCH takes on that role - it
might be a good idea since the current workload of the RAI review team
is very low and as has often been noted, the same people are involved.

My number one concern over RAI efficiency (and in-) is around people
resources and this proposal clearly helps in that we are streamlining
the process in SIPPING, as well as not ping ponging work between WGs.
We do spend way too much time at the f2f meetings debating where work
would happen, so I do think it will be helpful to do this once and be
done with it. I'm hoping this will also help folks in terms of bringing
in new work, since this proposal is far more clear about the process for
that - both for the chairs and document authors.

As far as timeframe, I'm assuming the plan is to try out this approach
in SF?

Regards,
Mary.