Re: [RAI] Option-tag registration

Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com> Fri, 09 April 2010 15:47 UTC

From: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>
To: Scott Lawrence <xmlscott@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 11:47:32 -0400
Cc: "rai@ietf.org" <rai@ietf.org>, Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Subject: Re: [RAI] Option-tag registration

Hadriel,

I also agree with you (and Scott).

I started the process over 2 years ago of simply trying to register a
P-header that was already in usage among various equipment vendors (P-
Charge-Info - http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info
  ) and found that the RFC 3427 process was incredibly cumbersome.
All I was trying to do was to help prevent the proliferation of P-
headers with multiple people trying to do the same thing.  My hope was
that someone else wanting to pass billing info (in this case) might
more easily find P-Charge-Info through the IANA SIP header list and,
hopefully, choose to use that header if it fit for them rather than
creating yet-another-P-header-that-does-basically-the-same-thing.  The
proliferation of P-headers doesn't help any of us and certainly
doesn't help with interop.

I think we need to make it as easy as possible for people to register
P-headers (and yes, I know that "P-" is deprecated)... and yes, the
new RFC 5727 (i.e. 3427bis) will help with that, although I'm still
not sure if it explains the process easily enough for a newbie to the
IETF to understand what they need to do.  Yes, we need a review
process to help submitters see if there are valid technical points
they aren't considering... the process for P-Charge-Info was very
helpful in identifying a few areas that needed further specification.

But in the end I think we need to remove as much friction as possible
so that people WILL register headers which will help other people FIND
those headers and then hopefully not create new ones.  I agree with
your point, too, Hadriel, about the registration of custom headers
pointing to areas where work needs to be done.  If we find that there
are 7 different custom headers being registered that deal with, say,
the number of buttons on an IP phone... then perhaps there is an area
that needs true standardization work (hopefully this particular
example would never occur).

I agree that option tags are in a similar situation.  People are
creating them anyway. I'm sure there are already duplicates and I'm
sure they are causing interop issues.

So yes, we should make it as easy as possible to register option tags,
too, subject to some basic review process, so that we can help guide
people to option tags that are already existing so that they don't go
off and create even more.

My 2 cents,
Dan

On Apr 9, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Scott Lawrence wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 01:53 -0400, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
>
>> It's been over a year since I sent this email, so I thought I'd
>> re-send it to see if anyone else cares about this topic yet, since it
>> got not responses last year...

>>> and (3) there are some from different vendors which essentially do