Re: [rrg] Next topic?

heinerhummel@aol.com Thu, 19 May 2011 22:15 UTC

To: ljakab@ac.upc.edu
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:15:03 -0400
From: heinerhummel@aol.com
Cc: rrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [rrg] Next topic?

Hi Lorand,

Certainly, my proposal is to find out how urgent is the IPv4-address depletion issue. Maybe it is not urgent and NAT will do.
And looking at IPv6: IPv6 provides even more of these funny Multicast addresses :-(
You may be fancy about IPv6, not me. (I don't know whether I should be happy or sad about the flow label's destiny so far.)

This is RRG, i.e. somehow "research for the better". IMHO there are different actions wrt p2p, p2mp, mp2p, mp2mp and anycast which should be expressed by different protocol types. Yes, some additional information is to be provided:
In case of multicast, the sender's IPv4-address, in case of anycast some ANYCAST-destination address (by using a separate protocol type  the anycast addres range could be 32 bits long - more than enough). Wrt  mp2p I only know MPLS applications - it does not exist in IP. mp2mp isn't reflected nowhere :-(

Heiner