Re: [rrg] Next topic?

Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li> Wed, 11 May 2011 23:06 UTC

From: Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:06:03 -0700
To: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Cc: rrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [rrg] Next topic?

On May 10, 2011, at 2:10 AM, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

> What about doing some work in multi-path routing in the inter-domain?
> i.e. enabling a router to use multiple paths with potential different characteristics to forward packets across domains.
> Would people find this topic interesting?

It looks like there are a number of people who are at least somewhat interested in this topic.

To move this topic forward, it would be very good to have a very clear statement of what this would (and would not) involve as research goals, and the specific researchers who are interested in contributing to this effort.  Obviously, much of this topic might involve direct protocol modifications or mechanism proposals.  These would be inappropriate as research goals, as these would be overlapping with the work that the IETF is chartered to perform.  Answering architectural questions would be appropriate, IMHO.

Folks writing topic proposals might do so with an eye on the current RRG charter.  Any eventual topics will necessarily become part of our rechartering effort.

Tony